Policy dialogue: Social innovation in energy meets the Fit-for-55 package
14 January 2022, 9:30–12:00 CET (UTC+1)
Hosted on Zoom
Register at: https://bit.ly/SONNET_dialogue
The European Union’s “Fit-for-55” package puts in place a plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Europe by 55% by 2030 (compared to 1990 levels). The plan includes measures related to transport and mobility, energy, emissions trading, and more. But how does social innovation fit it?
On 14 January 2022, policy makers, advocacy groups and researchers will come together (online) for a half-day dialogue to discuss opportunities and challenges related to more prominently considering social innovation in energy in the Fit-for-55 package.
But what is social innovation anyway? People around the world are trying out new practices that change social relations – or reviving practices from the past – in the hope that they accelerate paths to sustainability. Those new (or revived) practices are social innovations. Social innovations in energy include: energy cooperatives; new funding schemes for energy retrofits; crowdfunding for energy saving projects; local electricity exchange; participatory experimentation with new energy solutions, etc.
Contribute to the dialogue, and join speakers including:
- Emilie Vandam, Policy Assistant, DG Research and Innovation, European Commission
- Cristiana Marchitelli, Policy Officer, DG Energy, European Commission
- Stavroula Pappa, Project Manager, REScoop.eu
- Dimitris Tsekeris, Climate Justice & Energy Campaigner, Friends of the Earth Europe
- Giorgia Rambelli, Coordinator, Climate Policy and Energy Governance, ICLEI
- Julia Wittmayer, Assistant Professor at Erasmus University, DRIFT
- Karoline Rogge, Fraunhofer ISI, Professor at University of Sussex
The results of this policy dialogue will inform a report on how policy makers – at the EU and other levels – can better harness social innovation in energy.
This event is being hosted by ICLEI Europe in cooperation with the SONNET project, under the banner of ICLEI’s flagship Breakfast at Sustainability’s event series. Attendance is free of charge, and registration is mandatory. Register today at: bit.ly/SONNET_dialogue.